Sunday, March 8, 2009

New 5k PR. Woot Woot

Yesterday was my second 5k of the year and it was a much bigger race than the first one. Last year the top 5 guys at this race were all under 15 minutes so I knew it was going to be a fast race. I went into the race hoping to be in the low 16's and maybe even under 16 if I had a great race. I did my usual warmup and got everything ready. I lined up towards the front and the gun went off. I was about a .5 mile into the race and noticed that there was a pack of guys that were running just a tad faster than I, and I was only about 5 - 10 seconds behind that pack. Usually I am the "inbetweener" that gets stuck between the packs and I run by myself for the whole race. But I decided I would surge and sit in that front pack. Now I was not with the leaders because they were ahead of this pack but this was the first pack. I hit the first mile in 4:52, which is by far the fastest I've ever gone through the mile for a 5 k race. It didn't feel like I was killing myself to do it, so I just tried to stay relaxed and pass a few other guys. I kept my pace, passed a few guys, and made my way through that first pack. I looked at the 2nd mile and got really scared. It said 9:35, haha. I looked at the guy beside me and he told me the obvious, that the 2nd mile mark was WAY short. I just kept rolling and worked with one guy to keep our pace up. It really started to hurt with about a 1/2 mile to go. I looked at my watch at 14:45 and could see the finish line about 1/4 mile away. I picked up the pace as much as I could and crossed the finish line to see 15:50. I was really happy with this considering I have not done any speed work and I really didn't expect to be under 16. This was a 5 second PR and I haven't ran this fast for a 5k in almost 3 yrs. I guess all of that hard work this winter is already paying off. And after the race I got to come back to Lexington to go for an "easy" 2 hr ride, but that's hard to do with gusts of up to 35 mph, and a steady wind at 26 mph. Needless to say, it wasn't as easy as I wanted. And all of that work yesterday made for a not so fun long run this morning. But all I have left is an easy swim in about an hour. Then I get to study more, YAY.

Tony

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry about the ride, you should have told me to slow down, sorry!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice run, Tony! You are an animal. Good seeing and talking to you at the pool the other day.