Monday, September 1, 2008

IM Louisville and my Sept. Fitness Challenge

FYI, the track TT on Friday actually went ok. We had 5 people start the "race." Two guys dropped out before 5 laps, I dropped out at the 2 mile mark but Kuendig was able to finish in 15:58 which was exactly what he was trying to do. I competed in the Chicago tri 5 days before this, so I was still feeling a little tired and have not done anything at that kind of speed at all this year. I still managed a 10:10 - 2 mile which is my 2nd fastest ever. I think I'll attempt another 5k on the track in a few weeks after some speed work. That way, that speed doesn't feel like sub-4 mile speed, ha.

I volunteered at IM Louisville this year and it was crazy. I have all of the respect in the world for IM athletes. I am not willing to sacrifice the amount of time it would take to race an IM race. My good friend Lewis Jackson had an amazing race and finished in 10:12, which is close to 30 minutes faster than last year. Also, congrats to Mike Hermanson. He is on my "elite" team and he won the 18 to 24 age group while punching his ticket for Kona.

And I'm also stealing an idea from my good friend and training partner, David Kuendig. I have not been "training" like I was before my 70.3 race in early August. I managed a few decent workouts between the 70.3 race and the Chicago triathlon and I have almost taken this past week completely off. I ran twice, biked once, and swam twice (if you count either of those swims I did as a workout - 2000 yards total yardage between the swims). So starting today (Sept. 1st), I am going to run and swim 27 times each this month. I am still going to bike my normal amount (4 - 5 times weekly). Hopefully, all goes well and I get in pretty good shape before Dallas and Clearwater. So, I guess we'll see how this goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Tony. how was your volunteering at the Ironman? Hope all is well with you. Did you get in touch with the guy that Carol told you about? I think he won, did he not?

Your belove aunt Francie