Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Lonely Road

Another training update,
I've started the week off pretty good while finishing last week up ok. All I did Sunday was my long run of 12.5 miles. It actually felt a lot better than the last long run so that's always positive. Yesterday was a hard swim and an easy run. I swam 6 x 400 yards - HBA (hold best average). This is a "test" set that I do in the water once every 3 - 4 weeks or so, and this was by far my best ever. I usually average about 5 - 10 seconds slower and only swim 5 400's.
Today I followed up with another easy run, and hill repeats on the bike which I just finished up about 30 minutes ago. Man, I love the wind that Lexington has during the Spring/Fall seasons. I forgot how hard the wind can blow here in town.

Update on the SFC: The swimming challenge is pretty much out the window. I have failed miserably. I only swam 4 times last week, giving me a total of 9 swims in the first 14 days. Running on the other hand, is going pretty well. I have ran 13 times in the 15 days. As long as I only take one more day off from running, or do a "two-a-day" or two and I'll be set on the running challenge. I forgot how much I enjoy running.

And motivation is hard to come by when all of your training partners are off racing, taking a little down time, or out of town. I did manage to find someone to ride part of the way with me this past Saturday on my long ride, but all of my other workouts lately have been by myself (with a few exceptions in the pool). Those 2 - 3 hr. rides are kind of boring when you're all alone. It's hard to head out the door when there is no one there to push you along. I don't hesitate about workouts when I'm meeting someone, but when I'm by myself, I can always find an excuse. But I've only got 8 more weeks until my tri season is over for the year, haha. And several of my training partners will be back in a week or so hopefully the motivation will stay elevated until after Clearwater.

Now I'm off to the pool to get in a little "garbage yardage" just to loosen up.

Tony

No comments: