Friday, August 29, 2008

Fast 5k on the track

This evening, me and several of my running buddies are all going to attempt a fast 5k on the track. The goal is to break 16 minutes (which may sound like a walk in the park to many of you). The whole reasoning for this is to achieve the "B" standard for the USAT developmental team. To make the team, a person must have either the "A" standard in swimming or running, then have the "B" standard in the other sport. David Kuendig already has the "A" standard in swimming so he hoped to achieve the "B" standard for running tonight. On the other hand, I do not have either mark. I am hoping to improve my swim enough this fall/winter to be able to go under 5 minutes for 500 yards. That is the best shot that I have at achieving an "A" standard since the "A" standard in running is something ridiculous (14:50 ish - 5k, 31:00 ish - 10k). We have another friend, Bradley, how has never broken 16 for a 5k, but has come close many times. An ex-UK runner, John Thompson, is going to pace the three of us, CT Ransdell and Sean McNulty, on the track this evening at 7:30. All of us have have ran low-16's and high-15's for 5ks, so it is just a matter of running smart, and being strong for right around 16 minutes. John Thompson is the only one of us who has ran under 15 for a 5k so this should be pretty easy for him.

This week in training has been pretty low key for me. I have just laid around and prepared for my classes while. I just finished the Chicago Triathlon 5 days ago, and was looking forward to some down time. This week was good to lay around a little and get some energy back. But I will be training full throttle starting next Tuesday thanks to my late season races, Dallas and Clearwater.

T

1 comment:

Samantha said...

hey Tony! I just stumbled upon your blog. hope the 5k goes well tonight. We should catch up soon. It's been a while!!! The Music City Tri is soon. You gonna head that way?

ttyl.
Sam