Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Triple Date and a 5k

I participated in my first race of the year this morning by running the Heart and Sole 5k for the 4th time in my career. I won the race the first three times that I ran in it, so I was hoping for a 4th. I used today more as a workout, but I definitely wanted to run fast. And my coach wanted me to wear my heart rate monitor for the race, which would be the first time I have ever done so. The weather was very warm for this time of year, but extremely windy. It had to have been close to 50 degrees by the start of the race. I believe we had wind gusts of up to 40 mph this morning. The first mile had a little hill at the beginning of it, followed by a long straight stretch directly into the wind. I led a small group of three through the first mile in 5:24. The second mile is the hardest with 2 decent sized hills and a U-turn. I managed to get a little gap by the second hill but it wasn't very much. We went through the 2nd mile in 5:35, proving that it was a little harder, and that we had slowed down a lot. Luckily, the third mile was fairly flat with a tail wind. I cranked out a 5:05 mile, however, my competitor dropped a 4:55 mile and defeated me by about 5 seconds. I ran a 16:34 for the race. I believe that is about 2 - 4 seconds faster than last year. So I guess my running fitness level is about the same as last year.

I went on a triple date yesterday evening with: Casey, myself, her roommate Stacey, her bf Joe, Tyson, and his gf Amy. It that started with a nice home cooked meal by my girlfriend Casey, which was amazing. She purchased 6 movie tickets during the day to see the movie "Push" at 7:35. We bought them early because it was opening day for the movie and we really wanted to see the movie. We drive to the theatre, running a little late, and we drop off the girls at the door. After driving around for 10 minutes looking for a spot, my buddy Tyson calls me and informs me he is standing in a prime parking spot right in front, saving it for me. By the time I get there, a car is trying to run him over to get the spot. Joe hops out of the car to help him save the spot. After a little arguing, I drive around the car and back into the spot. There was about an inch of space on each side during this procedure, but it was pretty funny. The driver of the other car drove away in anger I got mostly into the spot. We had a good laugh as we walked into the theatre to meet up with the girls. As we're walking in, Tyson looks down at his ticket to realize it said "Taken." About 30 seconds later, Casey calls and admits that she accidentally purchased 6 tickets to the wrong movie, hahaha. So we had to sneak into "Push" and fortunately for us, there were 6 seats open towards the front of the theatre. The movie was great, and we had a blast. The End.

Tony

No comments: