Sunday, October 12, 2008

Motivation Levels

My four huge days are over and I'm looking forward to my recovery day tomorrow. I ended up running 11.7 miles yesterday at a pretty decent pace. I was worn out after this run so I ended up just eating some french toast, scrambled eggs w/cheese, bacon, hashbrown cassarole, and baked apples, and then taking a nap while watching some college football. But I made up for the missed workout today. I ran another 10 miles this morning and then went for an easy 2 hr. bike ride with two of my buddies. Somehow I ended up at the pool for an easy afternoon swim around 3:30. I just finished some school work and am now ready for my second supper. I've eaten enough food this weekend to feed a small nation.

Motivation Level is what is hardest about training for these big races. I know that I want to do well, but sometimes when the alarm goes off in the morning, or you are tired from a previous workout, all you want to do is sleep. So here is what my motivation levels looked like all weekend.

I was excited about the big weekend ahead of me so they started out good.
Friday morning before the long ride - Motivation Level (ML) - around 95%
ML after ride/before run - 65% (so I ended up running even though it was only 1.5 miles)
Saturday morning before long run - ML: 90%
After run - ML: 10% ended up cancelling my afternoon workout
Sunday morning before second long run - ML: 60% just enough to get me out the door
Before bike ride - ML: 50% only this high because I was riding with others
At 3 pm after waking up from a nap, right before my swim - ML: 15% ended up swimming because I told someone I would meet them there

Somedays I just wake up and go without thinking about what I'm doing, but others, I lay there and think about my schedule and when I would be able to squeeze in this workout if I skipped it. If I can squeeze it in at a later point in time, then a lot of times I'll skip it. Most weeks I'll end up skipping 1 to 3 workouts per week. All depending on the motivation levels, haha. I never skip a "key" workout though. The skipped sessions are usually easier rides, swims, and runs.

Hope you enjoyed.

Tony

No comments: