Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Adventures of Tony

So it's been a few days since I last posted and there have been all kinds of little things that have happened to me. Starting with last Thursday, I was riding my commuting bike back from class and I clip the sidewalk wrong and I crash, haha. Nothing serious, just more of an embarrassing moment for me since there were several cars passing right when I did it. Not 2 hours later, I'm out on a training ride and I almost get in a fight with a passing car. If I were not on my good bike, then there would have been a fist fight in the middle of the road. Some kid tried to run me off the road several times, we had a few choice words with each other, and I got in the last shot by spitting on his windshield as he made a left turn onto a road where I was making a right turn (haha, classy I know). During the altercation, I thought better of what I was doing ONLY because I was on my good bike. If I were on my older bike, I would have just thrown it aside and gone after this guy.

Anyways, that evening I managed to eat something that didn't sit well on my stomach. I spent most of the night and some of the morning in the bathroom "praying to the porcelain gods." I did not teach any classes on Friday, and as a matter of fact, I didn't even leave the apartment. I laid on the couch all day long, either sleeping or watching tv. I didn't eat anything until about 4 pm and that meal consisted of a little dry cereal. So I didn't work out Friday or Saturday since I was recovering from this illness.
Saturday I had a big day planned with my sister, Bethany. She came up for the day and we went to Keeneland and then the UK/Arkansas football game. This was a really exciting day even though I lost a little money at the horse track.
Sunday I had a long ride to deal with and I wasn't sure how it would go. I rode with two other guys and I rode 65 miles at a pretty easy pace. It wasn't a bad ride considering what I had gone through 2 days before. However, I did miss my longest long run which was scheduled for Saturday so I had to make it up yesterday morning. I ran 15 miles and it was one of the best long runs I've ever ran. I did a 5 mile loop three times so that I could stop for liquids and gels at the 5 and 10 mile marks. I ran the loop faster every time with the last 5 miles being run at close to 6:12 pace. The avg. pace for the whole 15 miles was just under 6:30 pace, which is faster than I usually run for long runs.

And I also rode my bike yesterday, and I happened to log enough miles to pass my car in the OFC. My car now has 470 miles compared to the 482 miles I have on my bike this month. I have several more rides this week so I should stay ahead of my car.

Sorry for the long post but it's been a few days since I last blogged. Hope you enjoyed.

Tony

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"illness, ha ha!"

Anonymous said...

Crashed your commuter bike, was there a helmet on your head t-bird?

Anonymous said...

It's ok Tony, I did that on the first day of the semester going to class. Stuff happens.