Monday, December 15, 2008

Things that Boggle my Mind

My buddy Eric decided a long time ago to do a "birthday challenge." He decided that he would run a trail marathon on his birthday, the 14th of December. He later on decided that the marathon that he chose to run wasn't worth the drive, money, or time so he would run a solo marathon at Cave Run Lake. With the help of his wife, he ran 26.2 miles on this trail to finish his birthday challenge. Something that I don't think sounds very fun. Beth ran 25 miles herself, haha. Some pacer. She ran the first and last of 3 laps with Eric, and she decided to run for 1 hr, 20 minutes between the laps. I mean, why wouldn't you run 25 miles for a long run, haha.

And something I'll never understand is the philosophy of the students in my classes. They tell me to my face that they don't take my class seriously, will skip multiple days, or even skip the final, and then expect me to go out of the way to give them an A for something they didn't do. I know that other courses require more work outside of class, but all you have to do for my class is show up and swim/run for 40 - 50 minutes. It should be an easy A. I had two kids skip their final last week and one girl is telling me she was never informed about the final because it wasn't on the original syllabus or because I didn't send an email. Nevermind, the facts that I gave out a revised schedule/syllabus during the first week of November, that I announced the take home final due date for 2 straight weeks, or even the fact that the students voted on which day to perform the swim final. It's my fault for not communicating with the students well, according to her. It's not her fault, even though she missed the last 2 weeks of class.
The other kid just slept in, he knew about the final.

And another ice storm is supposed to hit Lexington tonight. I guess I'll be running on the treadmill in the morning, but we'll see. Lexington has more ice storms than anywhere I know, but I guess I don't really keep up with the number of ice storms that hit other locations.

My fantasy football future is most likely over. Unless DeSean Jackson of the Eagles can score about 40 points tonight, then I'm going to lose in the semi final match. For him to score 40 points then he would need to score 3 td's with 220 yards receiving. Highly unlikely for any receiver in the NFL. maybe in the NCAA, but not the pros.
AND,
My semester is officially over. I took 2 finals today, and I emailed my final paper to my EDP600 teacher just about an hour ago. I only have 1 more class until I receive my Master's. Then the future after school. SCARY!!!!!!

Tony

2 comments:

Fran said...

Tony, welcome to the world of teaching. What you have discovered is nothing new that I don't experience myself as a college teacher. I also hear it from other teachers - the lack of motivation to simply do the homework assignments or just to show up for class - how hard is that. For those students,it is always someone else's fault. I have a student that failed my class this semester - there was not much to do but he chose to not do anything - go figure.

Love, Francie

Anonymous said...

whatever! running a marathon a week is the best way to stay fit, ha ha!