Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Check up

I know I haven't blogged about anything lately, but there really isn't anything too exciting in my life right now. I have been putting in the work, while getting a lot of rest for the past week or so. I'll be racing in Augusta this Sunday which is most likely going to be my last race of the year. I had plans on going to Clearwater, but I feel like I would benefit more by focusing on next year instead of squeezing in another race this year. After Augusta, my plan is to take a couple of weeks off (not completely) and then start putting in a large aerobic base while working on some of my swimming mechanics so I'll be better prepared for the 2010 season. If I race at Clearwater, I would train hard for another month or so, and then taper for about 2 weeks, then take the 2 weeks of recovery, and not start my build up for next year until the first of December. But the only problem with that is I don't know if there is enough internal motivation left in my system to get me to train hard for another month or so. The bike rides are becoming more dreadful (for no particular reason), I delay workouts more and more with every passing day, and I am just ready for a break. Now don't get me wrong, I have still worked hard up to this point and am ready to roll this weekend in Augusta. I know this is something that a lot of people struggle with, but even professional athletes struggle to get out the door for every single workout.

I'm thinking that next year may have to be broken into 2 seasons. Maybe an early season where I race 4 - 5 times in April, May and June. Then I'll start all over and have another build up to a later season where I'll race maybe once in August, and then have a few big races in September and October. That way, I'll still get in about the same number of races within the year, but I'll be fresher and more prepared for the races as opposed to getting burnt out half way through the season, and having some rough races during that period to deal with.

Check back tomorrow for the workout of the week.

Tony

2 comments:

batnip said...

I like the way you think!

Fran said...

Smart thinking on your part. Your body needs a rest. You can pig out (which are good at) when I take you to lunch on Octber 2- good luck this weekend and will be thinking about you.