Sunday, August 2, 2009

Steelhead 70.3 RR

So I raced in Benton Harbor, MI yesterday and it was one of my most disappointing races this year. It was just one of those days that I didn't have anything in the tank. I got on the wrong feet in the swim and didn't make the first swim pack. I came into T1 a little behind, and took off on the bike really not feeling well. It took me about 20 miles to loosen the legs up, and to get going. I hammered the bike from 20 to about 40 miles and then we made the turn home into the head wind. That really took a lot of energy fighting that wind for the last 16 miles. I backed off a little, hoping to save some energy for the run, but that didn't work out well. I ran 6 min. miles for the first 4 miles, 6:25 min. miles for the next 4 miles, and then about 6:50 pace for the last 5 miles. I just didn't have anything for the run. I started the run in 7th place. I passed 2 people in the first 2 miles, putting me into 5th place. I stayed there for about 5 seconds before one guy passed me. I ended up getting passed by 3 guys on the run and finishing 8th. This race was my slowest 70.3 ever, but it was a tough day. Nobody in the field really had a super fast run split (excluding Potts who raced really strong), and the wind made the bike splits a little slow as well. I expected to be several minutes faster than Kansas 70.3 and it was actually several minutes slower.

But I finished in the top 10 and am glad to have the race behind me. Thank you so much to my homestay Ann and her father for opening up their home for me. It was a beautiful home that was really close to the race sight. And thanks to my fans who drove up to support me; my coach Beth, Gram, and Gramps.

More details to follow soon...

And I want to wish my Dad a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Tony

No comments: