Friday, August 7, 2009

Confidence

So I usually will pass some extra time by watching tv, reading a book, or surfing the world wide web (which I do most of the time). Well I love the website www.flotrack.org. I am a track nerd (not as bad as I used to be) and they have some great videos and blogs on this site. I came across an article about Lindsay Allen and a blogpost that she wrote back in April. She discusses how she used to battle with self confidence going into races and how it always hurt her performance. Here is her complete blog post:

"I've always lacked a certain confidence when I toe the line of a race. But it wasn’t until this year that I fully understand how this negative thinking hurt my performance.While in college, I failed to live up to my own expectations which propelled me to pursue post-collegiate running. I knew my body was capable of much more. While I'm often found to be my own worst enemy, those insecurities stemmed from many factors- doubts about my training, incompatible coaching styles, and the craziness of college life, just to name a few. And until now, I never had anyone telling me I could be great.Reflecting on my recent personal bests since joining McMillan, I think the most significant contributing factor has been my new outlook on the sport. This positive outlook has been driven by the mindset of my teammates, the unparalleled coaching support, knowing adidas has taken a chance on me, and most importantly, the fact that I have removed any limitations I once set on myself.

In pursuing post-collegiate running I vowed that I'd stop making excuses, doubting myself, or accepting mediocrity. I am a professional runner and I will act like it. I will keep my expectations high and put healthy pressure on myself to perform. I enter each race with this refreshing mentality and enjoy the rewards.I have since toed the line of a race knowing anything less than a win would be a disappointment. I have also stuck with a rabbit running a pace equivalent to a 30 second PR in the 5k…why not? It all paid off.

For all of you out there who find themselves in similar states of doubt, just know that if you love something, remove any self-set limitations. Do it whole-heartedly. There's no time like the present."

Here is a link to her blog: http://www.mcmillanelite.com/lindsayallen.htm

I love what she says about acting like a professional. I need to keep my expectations high when I enter races because I am a professional triathlete and I need to act like it. I need to remove the self-set limitations that I have put upon myself this year because there is no time like the present. Why wait to get better next year when I can do it now.

Just a thought.

Tony

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Tony,

I have been following your blog for quite some time now and value your opinion very much. I was wondering if you have any thoughts on bike safety. Specifically how you prepare your mind for long training rides on the road. I am a little bit shaken since I was racing at Tom Sawyer August 1st when that tragedy struck.