Sunday, May 24, 2009

Update from Austin

It is the day before my first ITU race here in Austin, TX, and I'm having a great time so far. Fellow pro triathletes, Brandon and Amy Marsh, were kind enough to open up their home for Kuendig and I for the weekend. We have thoroughly enjoyed our time with the Marshes.

We arrived around noonish Saturday afternoon, and have had a great stay so far. There were no travel problems on the way down, so that was a great way to start the trip. We ate at Thundercloud Subs for lunch yesterday (and again today) and ate their special, Roast beef and Avocado which was amazing. After taking a nap, not running due to a severe Thunderstorm, and building up our bikes, we ate dinner at Chuy's which is a local TexMex place here in Austin, which again was amazing. But, I don't think I'll eat that the night before the race, ha. We went home to watch the NBA game and Gladiator before calling it a night. We woke up this morning and did a little easy bike ride followed by an easy run. We went to Einstein brothers Bagels for brunch and off to the pro briefing at 11 am. After the meeting, we ended up swimming in the lake and then eating another roast beef and avocado sub. Now, I'm sitting here before we take off to downtown Austin for dinner with one of Kuendig's old swimming buddies.

Tomorrow is a first for me: sleeping in on race morning. Our race doesn't begin until 12:20 in the afternoon so it should be nice and warm here in Austin. But I'm excited to be racing against some of the best in the nation. The race has about 50 guys, mostly from the USA. If there is a pro triathlete that you have never heard of, then they are probably racing in this race, including myself, haha.

Thats about it. I should have a race report up tomorrow evening or so. If not, then I'll try to have one up by Tuesday night. We fly out Tuesday afternoon, to arrive home late Tuesday night. Happy Memorial Day.

T-Bird

No comments: