Sunday, May 3, 2009

Flying Pig Half Marathon Race Report

Well, it's not even 11 am this Sunday morning and I have already ran a half marathon in Cincinnati, eaten Panera for breakfast, and returned back to Lexington to post about the race. My legs are really smoked after that race but I'm really pleased with my effort.

Beth and I drove up to Cincinnati last night so we could pick up our race packets, visit with her family, and then go to bed so we could wake up early to run this race at 6:30 am. Beth and I woke up at 4:30 so we could eat a little something and then drive from her brother's house to downtown to try and find a good parking spot. We got downtown around 5:30 and we just hung out for a little and got our race gear ready. We starting jogging to the start line / bathroom around 6 and were ready to roll by 6:30. The first few miles were all flat with an exception of the bridges we had to run over. I decided to wear my Garmin 405 so I could get some HR info for this race. I went through the first 3 miles in about 16:40 and I felt really crappy. I settled into a good pace for the next three miles and went through the sixth mile at 33:30. The seventh hill was torture. It was straight uphill and was really slow. The 2 - 3 miles after the 7th mile had some decent hills in them as well so those 4 miles were all a little slower. I went through the 10 mile mark around 56:45 ish. The last 3 miles were downhill and super fast. I ran my last 3 miles in 16:25. My 13 mile mark was right at 1:13:10. And somehow that last .1 of a mile took me 1:40, haha. My mile splits on my Garmin were about .02 short per mile. By the end of the race, it registered that we ran 13.3 miles. Beth's Garmin said the same thing so I my actual 13.1 split was about 1:13:40. That extra .2 of a mile cost me about a minute or so. No matter what the actual finish time is, it was still a huge PR. My fastest half marathon was actually ran at Clearwater last November in about 1:18:10 or so.

Beth also had an awesome race and ran a PR as well. She covered the 13.3 miles in 1:33:43. We were both excited, walked back to the car, and immediately changed into some dry clothes. Hopefully these Zensah compression sleeves will help me feel better tomorrow so I'm not limping around like I ran a Half Marathon in racing flats, ha. And we also stopped at Panera on the way home which is almost a must after a hard effort like that.

Until next time.

Tony

No comments: