Saturday, May 22, 2010

Memphis in May Weekend

So I am in Millington, TN for the annual Memphis in May triathlon. I have done this race for 6 years in a row (including this yr) and I absolutely love this race. This was my first ever Olympic distance race and also the first race that I won some money at as a professional. It is always ran well and just a fun weekend overall. We came down from Lexington yesterday and got here late in the afternoon. We went for a little swim once we got here to cool off (the AC went out in our van on the way down) and then went to the hotel to check in. We kept it low key last night by just hanging in the hotel and watching "I love you, Man." We did stop at Wal Mart which I happened to find my new favorite candy: Pretzel M&M's.

This morning we woke up and went down to the race site to watch some of the Mideast Multisport athletes compete in the sprint distance race. Beth and Allison had great races by placing 10th and 11th overall on the female side while Sean also put up a pretty solid performance (not sure of his placing overall).

Kevin, Ben, and myself all went for a little spin on the bike to loosen up the legs, got in a short run and the hopped in the lake to cool off. Once we were finished, we left and grabbed some lunch at McAllister's. I always love me some sweet tea.

Now I'm off to the pro meeting and then some dinner at Amerigo's. I really pumped about the race tomorrow as it is my first "bigger" race of the year. My training has been pretty solid, and I've backed off a little this week for a little rest. I'm also excited about trying out the new gear. I'm rocking the Zipp 1080 rear wheel and the Zipp 808 front wheel. I also have some EFS to drink and a new Salt Stick dispenser to help me keep my electrolytes up during the race. I'm definitely going to need those tomorrow when the temperature hits close to 95 degrees.

I'll have a Race report by Monday evening, but I'm sure I'll "tweet" a brief summary of my result.

Tony

No comments: