Monday, July 6, 2009

The Dog Whisperer

So I'm on my usual longerish bike ride on the weekend, only I'm in my home town of Corbin and I'm riding with my brother. I usually do a longer ride on Saturday, but it was the 4th of July so I ran the annual Bluegrass 10k on Saturday (more on that later). So anyways, I did my longer ride on Sunday with my brother. Well, he is in Corbin for the summer and he knows where the dogs are on the route that are going to bother us. He told me a few stories while we were riding about several encounters with these dogs but I didn't think anything about it. Well, we are riding by a house that has a few dogs, and we were rolling pretty good so I figured that we wouldn't have any trouble with them. Well, Ben slows down, gets out his bottle of water, swerves towards the dog, and sprays it in the face. It was hilarious.

So anyways, Saturday was the 4th of July and I ran the Bluegrass 10k for the 7th straight year. I was looking to run under 34 minutes considering this is a pretty difficult race. I ran just over 34 minutes last year, and the temperature was about the same as last year. I started the race pretty comfortable and just ran within myself for the first mile or so. I went through the mile in about 5:14 and I figured that was a great pace. I had a few guys to run with from about 1.5 miles until about 4.5 miles in the race. I just tucked in behind two guys from the 2nd to 3rd mile mark and then jumped in front of those guys trying to pick up the pace a little. That didn't really help much so I just tucked back in about a half mile later. I stayed there until about the 4.5 mile mark when another guy caught us and went by us like we were walking. Dave K and I sped up to go with this guy and we just latched on with him. I managed to pick up the pace pretty easily but Dave fell off pace a little after that move. Once we hit the 5th mile mark, it was me and this guy fighting for the 6th place spot. I put an acceleration on him but didn't manage to drop him. He passed me and put about 2 - 3 meters on me and he held that lead until about the 6th mile. With 1/4 mile to go I decided to fight like I used to, and to not just give in. I started to pick up the pace but I wasn't really catching him. I switched gears and was still not catching him fast enough to get him before the line. I switched into my top end gear and just managed to get him right at the line. I finished 6th place in a time of 33:23 with a NEW 10k PR. I haven't ran a 10k PR since the spring of 2006. I'm really excited about this considering the difficulty of the race and considering I haven't ran that fast in about 3.5 years.

Training is going great still. I'm headed down to Chattanooga this weekend for the Waterfront Triathlon with Beth, Eric, and Ben. I have put in about 41 hours of training over the past 2 weeks. This week may be kind of a down week with the race this weekend. I'm just enjoying my recovery day today by watching the Tour de France rerun right now and I'm about to go eat some pizza at Pazzo's.

T-Bird

No comments: