Friday, October 18, 2013

Pre Race Bowling Green 10k

So I have been training consistently (and pretty hard) for that past few months (all summer) and am ready to put the work to the test.  This week is one of my least favorite parts of the training process as I have cut back on the workload and am resting a bit.  When I rest, I tend to eat more, which doesn't work out the best as I tend to cut weight and put on weight pretty fast.  Through the summer training, I have dropped from about 170 - 175 pounds which I was around back in March down to 154 two weeks ago.  Now, that was during a high mileage week and I'm back to high 150's with my rest this week and is a more maintainable weight for myself.  I'm sure once I rest after a few running races, I'll pack on the pounds with the lower mileage and the holiday treats, haha.

Tomorrow is the BG 10k.  I have run this race twice and they have been a few years apart every time I have run the race.  Some years this race has the top 10 guys all in the low 30's or faster.  Other years has 1-3 guys that fast and then a big drop off with maybe the 5th place guy barely breaking 34 or 35 minutes depending on the year.  It seems that the years I have run this race, it is always a fast year.  I broke 34 for the 10k distance the first time ever back in 2005 at this race.  I didn't even win my AG that year with that time.  I believe it was 33:51.  The next time I ran this race I was hoping to finish top 6-8 in the race and I decided I would do what I could to finish there.  Well, the lead group had 15 guys or so in it and they went through the first mile in about 4:45-4:50.  I went through the first mile just under 5:00 and realized I was in a bit over my head.  But it did help me break 33 for the first time ever and I finished 32:53 or so.  Not sure on the exact time but I finished 15th overall.

Over the past six years, here is the finishing time for the 8th place person

2007 - 35:20 (1st place female)
2008 - 31:22
2009 - 32:32
2010 - 30:22
2011 - 31:53
2012 - 35:06

This race is always very competitive and I am really looking forward to testing out my fitness.  I built a solid base over the summer months, and have had some really solid workouts as of late.  They have been a little more 13.1 focused since I'm running the Rock'n'Roll St. Louis half marathon next weekend, but I have had some really good 5k - 10k workouts as well.  I did 5x1k this week @ 5k pace and it felt very good and was a bit faster than expected.

The BG course is very rolling considering it goes right through WKU's campus and of course they are called the "hilltoppers."  The first mile is rolling but ends right on top of "the" hill.  The 2nd mile is all downhill running into downtown BG.  I have always flown through the 2 mile mark of this course.  My 5k split has always been crazy fast.  In 2010, I went through the 5k split just 15 seconds off my 5k PR.  I did slow down over the second half but had enough in the tank to break the 33 minute barrier.  I believe I did something similar in 2005, but I don't remember what my 5k PR or split was for that race but I know that I was close to my PR at the 5k split.

I'll post a race report Monday or Tuesday.  I love this race and always look forward to spending the afternoon after the race at one of my favorite places, Jackson's Orchard.  Nothing beats race recovery like snacking on caramel apples, hot apple cider, and apple pies with some ice cream on top.

Tony

No comments: