Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Chasing Deer

My goal for 2013.  To run down a deer and catch it with my bare hands.

I was presented with this opportunity early in the year.  Unfortunately, I was in horrendous shape during this opportunity.  I gave it my all, but suffered for the rest of the day as if I had done an ALL OUT 800 meter run, or mile.  Both hurt A LOT.

After reading the book "Born To Run," I took several things away from this book.
A. running in racing flats is all the support that I will ever need in a pair of shoes.  I'm not going full extreme and getting the five finger shoes or the running sandals, but I do like racing flats and the feel of them.

B. The stories of running down deer is awesome and I want to do that.

I learned in 2011, that lesson A was a good idea, but I developed a heel spur and then a wicked case of plantar fascia that I dealt with for 1.5 years.  So, more support in my shoes for now.  If is ain't broke, don't fix it, right???

But the deer would make a great story if I were to ever run down a deer.  On February 6th, I was running a recovery jog in the park (about 9 min. per mile pace) and 1.5 miles in, there was a family of 6 deer.  I was so excited I got that little feeling in your stomach that you get when something sudden happens (you know what I mean).  Well, I wasn't sure how to start the chase to I just ran straight up to them.  Since the park is a popular place, the deer themselves were used to people and actually let me get a lot closer than I expected before they took off running.  Almost 30 seconds into the chase, 1 deer to separated from the rest and I knew that was the idea of the chase.  I managed to keep it separated for a little bit but it was able to sprint faster than me and get around me and back to the family.  For the next 2 miles I sprinted/jogged very slowly for recovery while chasing these deer over a few open acres of a grassy field. I ran about 12 minutes for those 2 miles which about killed me.  I was weezing and coughing the rest of the morning.  The deer escaped and made me look stupid as this field is right beside a busy road that many Nashvillians use to commute into downtown.  The only thing that I was really worried about was chasing the deer into the road so anytime they took off in that particular direction, I stopped chasing immediately.

I walk / jogged back to my car and got in about 2 more miles than I had planned and at a much higher intensity than I had planned.  Needless to say, the run the following day was my recovery run.

About a month later, the deer were there again, but it was in a different section of the park that was closer to the wooded area.  I chased for about 45 seconds and they got around me and into the woods.  They just into and across the small creek thus ending that chase.

Those are the only 2 chases I've had in 3 months but I'm hoping for more as I'm in much better shape.

I want revenge for this guy.  Sure this happened in S. Africa and this was an Antelope, but its the same family, right?

No comments: